Community Leader Information Forum
Photo provided by Pexels
The Community Leader Information Forum is held monthly
In 1958 interest in the regiment's history resulted in the allocation of a room in the two storey building for the purposes of a museum. This soon outgrew the space available and in 1963 an appeal was launched for new accommodation for the museum. This was to be provided by moving a 19th century house from a site further west along Macquarie Street which its owners, the AMP Society wished to redevelop. (Daily Telegraph 7 August 1963) The re-location of this building on the barracks site was thought to be particularly appropriate, as it had once accommodated military officers stationed in the town and so had connections with the military history of Parramatta. This arrangement provided a means not only of establishing a museum within the barracks but also of saving an historic building from destruction. The external fabric of the building was dismantled and numbered and was reassembled on the Lancer Barracks site, against the northern boundary and facing the original two storey barracks. The Museum, named Linden House, was opened in 1966 although only the ground floor of the interior was completed at this stage. The upper floor was finished as funds became available. An area of land around the museum is licensed to the Royal NSW Lancers Museum Association for the purposes of the museum. (Victoria Barracks NSW, Asset Register Asset Number 2-P-9) In 1972 a single storey storeroom and workshop were built on the east side of Linden House. In 1981 the Museum was dedicated as. a Regimental War Memorial. In 1985, the centenary of the raising of the Sydney Light Horse, a memorial was unveiled in the grounds of the barracks to those members of the regiment who had died in World War II. (Regimental History)
US Military Housing, Barracks, and Housing Allowance
During the Second World War the Regiment served as a Machine Gun Regiment, a Tank Battalion and as an Armoured Regiment, the only armoured unit with a militia origin to serve overseas. Lancer Barracks was given up for war time military use. After World War II the Government decided to maintain the system of voluntary enlistment, but in 1950 compulsory military training (National Service) was restored and maintained until 1960. The Royal New South Wales Lancers were re-formed in the Parramatta district and Lancer Barracks became Regimental Headquarters. Armoured Brigade Headquarters occupied Bob's Hall and the regiment occupied the two storey building with the Army Service Corps. The use of the Merrylands Drill hall was allotted to the Regiment which now had a Regular Army cadre. In 1953 the use of the Merrylands Drill Hall was given up and the Regiment's operations were concentrated at Parramatta. In 1954 a lecture room block was constructed behind the original two-storey building and its associated single storey [kitchen] building. In 1955 the two storey married quarters was converted into two flats. (Commonwealth Department of Works card index).
Photo provided by Pexels