and had to try the Boston Cream Pie and yes this is one of those ..

- As Tony probably passed on, I was the last CERA on Kootenay. Our last deployment was down on UNITASD - around Cape Horn and as we were decommissioning, we were going to put out a de-commissioning book. The Explosion file was still onboard so I spent about 3 weeks at sea (nights mostly) digging throw the Board of Inquiry, witness accounts of the crew and other investigations as well as some media clippings to gather the whole thing together and wrote the account in the attachment I sent you for the book (which never got funded or done). It was later used by Public Affairs in Halifax to do a cross country tour remembering Kootenay, but I'm never heard much about it. You will read in the end of it that on our final shut down (18th Dec 1995) which was a Dependants Day cruise, I had some of the crew that were onboard during the explosion pull the final fires from the boilers. In the Engine room where most of the boys had died, one of the guys had brought down a bottle without me knowing about it. The entire shut down watch toasted the boys whose spirits would stay with the ship. It was a hell of an emotional day. Not all of the information that I garnered was in the story. S/Lt Riffenstein was so troubled by his part in trying to pull the emergency stops and that he would later commit suicide. I later worked with Bob Jones who took over from Al Kennedy (and I've also spoken to Al) and we discussed some very interesting messages that had gone between Bonny and Kootenay in the day's after the explosion - they actually made Bob sign a Supersession certificate "Subject to the conditions now extant" when he landed on Kootenay with the fire team and chemoxes from Bonnie.

Save your essays here so you can locate them quickly!

Feb 19, 2018 · We stopped at the Last Hurrah on our last night in Boston on a ..

The Last Hurrah - Turner Classic Movies

, - I joined the naval reserve in May 1943 at H.M.C.S. STAR in Hamilton along with two other friends. They were Joe Valliere and Dick Purdy. Joe was drafted to Prince Rupert on the west coast after basic training in STAR and Dick joined what was called Combined Operations. I never saw Dick again until I got discharged but I met Joe on the street in Plymouth, England and we sat on the curb and cried. We were so glad to see each other, it overwhelmed us. We had hitch hiked a ride on the Queen Elizabeth Way which by the way, you cannot do these days and arrived at the Naval Base known as H.M.C.S. Star where we were given a medical examination. The medical officer in charge told me I had an enlarged heart and they said I could not join. About a month later, they called me on the phone and asked me to come in for another medical review and when this medical officer saw me, he said my heart was OK for the size of me and they allowed me to join. The building was an old vinegar works alongside the train tracks near the train station and close to James St. in Hamilton. It has since been torn down and replaced with a larger base with a drill hail on the waterfront. We did our basic training such as marching and rifle drill at the new facilities on the water front. While there, we were asked if anyone had experience with playing in a band. I, along with others, signified that we had been with various bands and we were asked to form a band so that the recruits had something to help them march and keep in step. I had played the base drum in the 2/10th Dragoons reserve army and was asked to take charge of the band. There were about 23 of us at the time and our instruments were borrowed from the local sea cadets. We would march up the streets to Dundurn Castle and practice all day there. It was a place we could play our instruments and march without disturbing anyone. That lasted about three months and finally my draft notice was posted and I left for the coast by railroad. We travelled in antique railroad cars with plush seats and no berths and very little food. We did stop in Montreal for a few hours where we were able to get food and drink. More of the latter than we needed. Some had to be carried back to the train and were put on report by the shore patrol. I was lucky not to be one of them because the penalty was a few days of what was called No.11. That was running (at the double) with a rifle over your head around the parade square until you either completed it or dropped with exhaustion. It was not fun and there were even worse penalties but I won't get into that. I might add that I joined the navy because I had been a sea cadet in our local corps and I always dreamed of going to sea. Even to this day, I think I made the best choice of all the services. I have never regretted being in the navy. That said, I was one of the lucky people who survived without a scratch because many of them did not.

I feel this is the proper place for me to end

My great granny and gran would have known how his mother felt, dying so far from home but he was not on his own they made sure of that. Through a veterans magazine I put an ad in to see if anyone recalled him, thought it was a long shot after so long. I was contacted by a wonderful lady who told me her friend had seen my ad. The PO Stoker who made contact is Hugh Main, he was Stoker Leyland’s boss on the Owen Sound and told me of being in an Atlantic convoy, I guess early Aug 1944. Stoker Leyland had peritonitis and as they could not leave the convoy it took around five days to get him to Derry. He must have been put in the bed next to my great uncle who was being nursed by my great gran Charlotte Reid and her daughter my granny (who is standing) Evelyn Moss, nee Reid. This photo was a very sad one, taken following the Irish tradition when in mourning, just after the death of Billy Reid. A search was carried out for Stoker Leyland’s family but it has not been successful sadly. I would love to know if my great gran’s letters are still with someone and let them know that their loved one is still in at least one family’s thoughts.

Buy a cheap copy of The Last Hurrah book by Edwin OConnor

Not all of them though, the rules on repatriating those that fell outside Canada had not been changed after the Second World War. Four of them were laid to rest in the Brookwood Commonwealth Cemetery in Surrey, England. That same day, the caskets bearing the bodies of CPO Boudreau, PO Harmon, and LS Hutton were carried from the church by the burial party from KOOTENAY and taken to HMCS SAGUENAY. At 11 a.m. she slipped from Devon Dockyard, and sailed slowly down the Estuary to Plymouth Sound as hundreds of British sailors lined their ships and hundreds more dockyard workers stood silently by the wharves paying their last respects. Throughout Plymouth, flags dropped to half-mast.

It was near the end, and they were left in men's doubles or mixed

- I was the RPO on HMCS Margaree in her final few months before she was paid off. We went on a trip down to Bermuda with CFAV Quest to take part in sonar trials with her. Our job in these trails was to drop SUS charges on scheduled intervals and Quest would be listening and recording to the results. There are probably much more technical terms but that was the just of it. Well, we got down to Bermuda and after a couple days alongside we were scheduled to sail in the morning to do the trials. When I woke the next morning the ship was bouncing about and I thought we were at sea. I got dressed and went straight up to the shack ... and found it was only 5 am ... we were still alongside the wall in the midst of a hurricane. (). Sailing was delayed but we managed to get off the jetty about noon and sailed into the storm to do the trials. Needless to say it was rather uncomfortable in that weather, especially once they stopped the engines for the trials. The ship was being tossed every which way and those not required on watch were in their carts. At one point, the steam line let go and crashed across the galley - luckily no one was hurt. During this, I was working in the Cox'n's office - and each day I would put out Routine Orders. I had my chair lashed to the bulkheads so it would not move and I could type. At one point I decided to go down to the Chief's and PO's cafeteria and get a coffee. I closed the door to the office and when I came back a few minutes later, I could not get back in. The door was jammed. It took some work (and a few rolls of the ship to loosen things up) and I finally got back in. The "Captain's Table" - the podium used for defaulters, which had been lashed in the trunking above my chair in the Cox'n's office had broke loose and crash down on the back of my then vacant chair. Had I not gone for the coffee when I did, it would have come down on my head. From that day forth I have believed in the health benefits of drinking coffee.

Moby Dick; Or the Whale, by Herman Melville